maxon motor is a worldwide manufacturer of brushed and brushless DC motors, modular systems, and control electronics. They are a leading provider of high-precision drives and systems used in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, oil & gas, and energy.
Measurement While Drilling
Measurement While Drilling (MWD) uses measurement modules behind a drill head. The control system measures angle, vibration, and drilling speed. The “pulser” unit sends the collected information back to the surface, across thousands of meters, through pulses in the drill mud (MPT – Mud Pulse Telemetry). These pulses are generated by an actuator system driven by maxon’s Heavy Duty assembly. Having reliable information is crucial for drilling technicians for them to respond quickly and make corrections where needed.
maxon Heavy Duty Drives
maxon Heavy Duty Drives are perfect for these extreme applications for a number of reasons. They can withstand operating temperatures ranging from -55 to 200°C and can withstand high shock loads and vibrations (1000 g / 25 grms). Their robust design with laser welded connections adds to their high reliability. They also have a high performance/volume ratio with a compact, low mass design. Other features include:
- Low Energy Consumption
- High Efficiency
- Excellent Control Properties
- Linear Motor Characteristics
- Operation in Air or in Hydraulic Oil
- Low Magnetic Interference
maxon motor Heavy Duty Drives go through a number of rigorous tests prior to being used in the field. These tests include:
- Internal Full Load: the motors are tested in hydraulic oil, at extreme temperatures, under full load during continuous operation
- Vibration and Thermal Stress Test: drives are put into a climate-controlled cabinet and subjected to simulated high vibration
- Shock Test: drives undergo simulated shock loads of more than 1000 g and must remain fully functional following the test.
For more information regarding maxon heavy duty drives, read the full article here or contact Electromate today!
Electromate Powered Solutions service a wide range of manufacturing sectors that utilize automation technology to significantly enhance productivity and flexibility of various automation processes.
Tags: Maxon, downhole motor, electric motor, BLDC motor, MWD, pulser, Electromate